Shinfield Church started in 1909 when a group of Christians in the village got together to start a new service. They didn’t have a building so met above a bike shop. Since the Christians came from different church traditions they decided the new church meeting should not belong to any particular denomination so that all would feel welcome.
As the church grew more space was needed. This was provided first by meeting in a tent on a field and having the children’s group meet in Romany caravans. Later a building was erected. This building still stands though it has been added to.
Shinfield church flourishes today. In 2013 it faced an uncertain future and seemed upon the point of closure. But a small number of members got together to pray for God’s help. He answered their prayer in a wonderful way. First a trainee pastor, supported by Wycliffe Baptist Church in Reading, volunteered time to lead the church. Soon after this some local people joined the church family. Next Wycliffe encouraged a small group of its members to join Shinfield to further support the new stage in the life of the church.
Shinfield Church now has a new lease of life and a clear sense of vision as Shinfield village grows and develops. Just as people were given to Shinfield from other churches to help it grow so we also seek to partner with other churches to help them grow. You can read more about this and other parts of our vision of the church on this website.
Shinfield Church is one part of God’s Global Church
Jesus called for all those who follow him to be one. Therefore the church actively seeks to partner with churches of all denominations and traditions who follow Jesus. Leaders and members of the church regularly meet with members from other churches to pray, plan activities and support one another.
The Bible tells us that ‘God…loved the world,’ and he proved this by coming to the world as Jesus. Jesus is full of love. That’s why we want people to meet Jesus. We want to people to know the love of God by loving like Jesus and pointing people to him in our village, our homes, our workplaces and our communities.
Jesus spoke about creating a new kingdom . This kingdom is a place of good news, freedom, truth, liberation and goodness. That’s why we are committed to helping this village, our homes, our workplaces and our neighbourhoods flourish with all the benefits of God’s kingdom. Our motto is ‘A church that loves Jesus and grows in a community transformed by the Kingdom of God,’
We have the following objectives to help us move towards this aim and around which we orientate our activities:
- A constant stream of village people exploring the Christian faith and supported into God’s family;
- A church full of people from the Shifield community;
- Members have a Jesus adoring, kingdom building mentality that serves growth of the church as given by God;
- The church well known in the community for good works that making Christ’s gospel attractive;
- Provision for all ages to grow in worship, fellowship, outreach, service, discipleship
- A leadership team responsive to the Spirit of God and sensitive to the needs of the non-Christian community creating sustainable capacity for the growth of God’s church in the Shinfield area;
- To be financially sustainable and give to others in need including charities
- Shinfield a model and resource to church growth and planting in the locality;
- To be in good relationships with local churches;
Shinfield was given a new lease of life when God sent people from other churches to join us. We look forward to the day when Jesus will send people from this church to help another church in the same way. When the church grows to a regular congregation of 100 adults, or in 2018 (whichever comes first), we are looking to explore whether we should start a new part of God’s church locally, start a new service at Shinfield or partner with another church to help them grow.